- Top 8 Best Water Filter Pitcher 2021
- 1 EHM Premium – Best Alkaline Water Filter Pitcher
- 2Aquagear – Best Water Filter Pitcher for Fluoride
- 3 Reshape Water Filter Pitcher for Hard Water
- 4 Brita Standard Metro Best Countertop Water Filter Pitcher
- 5 Epic Nano - Best Water Filter Pitcher for Bacteria
- 6Waterdrop Lucid NSF Certified Water Filter Pitcher for Coffee and Drinking Water
- What Are Water Filter Pitchers?
- Types Of Water Filter Pitchers ?
- What Does BPA-Free Mean?
- Which Health Benefits Will You Get When Using Water Filter Pitchers?
- When & How to Change a Water Pitcher Filter
If you want to filter your water without spending a high cost of installing a filtration system, looking to the best water filter pitcher 2021 is an excellent idea.
The water you get from your tap doesn’t come in its purest form. And although the minerals such as chlorine aren’t harmful to your health, water served from the tap is still hard and doesn’t always have the best taste.
While the problem with hard water is universal, there are options you can use to soften water and make sure everyone at home drinks clean water all the time. Your options range from installation of water softeners to using simple water filters that remove contaminants and foreign minerals from water.
In this guide, we’ll look at some of the best water filter pitchers in the market right now. What’s significant about this list is that we’ve put all these products to thorough testing and based our review on our experiences.
Some of these models won’t even appear on the best-selling list on ecommerce stores such as Amazon. However, based on our real, hands on testing, they work quite well. Really, our goal with this guide, at the end of the day, is to help you pick a unit that can help you purify water on the go, so that you can serve it to yourself and the people you care about have safe, pure, and great-tasting water to drink all the time.
Top 8 Best Water Filter Pitcher 2021
1 EHM Premium – Best Alkaline Water Filter Pitcher
EHM water filter pitcher is made of durable plastic and is generally lightweight in design.
It easily raises the level of alkalinity in water by adding useful antioxidants and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium. So you end up with water that’s a lot tastier and healthier to drink.
The EHM Ultra-Premium Alkaline Water Filter Pitcher doesn’t require constant refiling because, once you fill it with 3.8 liters of water, you’ll get 2 liters of filtered water to drink.
Plus, it takes less than 5 minute for water to get pass through the filter. So you don’t really have to wait for long to enjoy your alkaline water.
EH raises the pH level of water to between 8.5 and 10. And what you get after filtration or colorless and odorless water that’s healthy and tasty to drink.
However, you should be careful of the lid because it is easy to fall off and spill water when pouring.
- Six stage filtration cartridge included to remove contaminants and add essential minerals
- Compact and lightweight. It can easily fit in a refrigerator
- Includes a fine screen in the filter that disallows black particles from mixing with clean, filtered water
- Sometimes the lid fails to fit in properly
- No timer to indicate when to change the filters
2Aquagear – Best Water Filter Pitcher for Fluoride
Coming at a fair price point, the Aquagear water filter pitcher delivers clean, healthy, great tasting water than many models in the same range do.
Not only is the model effective in reducing copper and lead. It’s also a unique solution for fluoride treatment. The result isn’t just pure water, but also what taste great overall.
In our eyes, the Aquagear water filter pitcher is an easy to assemble, easy to clean, and durable model and one that delivers a good amount of water for your family to drink.
When it comes to buying water accessories made of plastic, the first question we tend to ask ourselves is just how safe the unit is. If the material is BPA-free at least, it makes for a good consideration.
The Aquagear water filter pitcher falls into this category, and more. In addition to featuring a BPA-free plastic construction, it’s also 100% vegan and easily recyclable. Not to mention FPA approved for food grade use.
In other words, Aquagear is a safe and healthy water filter pitcher, which lets you enjoy the taste of pure, soft, and tasty water without worrying about health side effects from material used for construction.
The Aquagear water filter pitcher has a bigger audience for one big reason. And that’s its effectiveness in purifying and softening hard water, then delivering it in its purest and tastiest form. It’s great that Aquagear builds the model to exceed the NFS standards.
In other words, the Aquagear water filter pitcher is one of the few models that easily and effectively remove contaminants such as chloramines, chromium, fluoride, copper, and lead.
And here’s what we find even more interesting about this product: It’s quite effective in removing even the smallest traces of water contaminants. In our eyes, the pitchers ability to clear away foreign minerals as small 2 microns is something worth a lot more than the asking price of the model.
Aquagear goes beyond just removing contaminants from water. Like many salt-free water softeners, it keeps healthy minerals during filtration, allowing you to drink water to its true taste all the time.
One issue we’ve had with the Aquagear is that it has active filters, which take longer to fill with water. But then again, there’s an advantage to it. The longer it takes the filter to fill with water, the more contaminant the filter pitcher can remove from water.
- BPA-free plastic makes it safe to use
- Able to remove more contaminants from water and make it safe to use
- Retains important minerals so your water tastes great
- Filter lasts up to 6 months
- NSF certified model
- Filters rather slowly
- May be expensive for some people, especially those under tight budget
3 Reshape Water Filter Pitcher for Hard Water
If you’re in the market for a water filter pitcher that can reduce water hardness, consider getting the Reshape model. Whether you have city water flowing to your home or you use well water, you will find this water filter pitcher quite useful.
It features an ergonomic design with a lid that extends to the handle so your thumb can hold it down to prevent water spills. Inside the pitcher are BPA-free filters that remove the most contaminants from the water, leaving only clean water to drink.
This pitcher earns a decent rating for performance because removes impurities such as chlorine, organic dirt, and heavy metals from water. It does so using FIR balls, ion exchange, activated carbon, and alkaline mineral balls to alkalinize water.
Removing contaminants isn’t the only thing that this water filter pitcher does. It also softens hard water by releasing sufficient sodium, calcium, potassium, and magnesium, giving you smooth, tasty, and clean water that’s safe to drink.
The filters aren’t the most durable, but they aren’t bad either. From our initial analysis, one filter can last 75 days, and that’s an equivalent of 79 gallons of pure water to drink.
- BPA-free filter safe for your health
- Easy to clean
- A filter gives up to 79 gallons of clean water to drink before you need to replace
- Includes NSF certified activated catalytic carbon
- You may need to constantly remove the filter to control clogging
4 Brita Standard Metro Best Countertop Water Filter Pitcher
Brita Standard Metro Water Filter Pitcher can purify up to five cups of water, making it a good option for a countertop. Its ergonomic design makes it easy to use.
And we particularly recommend it for home use because it easily filters hard water while maintaining its flavor. It can hold only 5 cups of water, which is an equivalent of about two 24-ounce water bottle.
One thing we love about the design is how compact Brita Standard Metro is. Only 9.8 inches high and 4.5 inches wide with a depth of around 9.4 inches, it doesn’t take a lot of space on a countertop. Not to mention it can fit well on a refrigerator’s shelf.
Brita trims down the weight quite well, making the model only 1.93 pounds. While it isn’t the most lightweight model in the market, particularly owning to its size, it’s not the heaviest either. So it should be easy to move from a countertop to a fridge’s shelf and vice versa.
The model includes a locking lid, which prevents water spills and therefore makes handling the unit easy all the time.
As small as the Brita Standard Metro is, it’s quite effective in reducing zinc, mercury, copper, and chlorine. With this water filter pitcher, the taste and odor caused by chlorine disappears, so you always get cleaner water that tastes great.
This pitcher works great with Longlast and Standard filters which give you the freshest tasting water all the time. We do want to point out that the two type of filters don’t have the same longevity. The standard filters need replacement after every 2 months and the Longlast filters can work well for up to 6 months or approximately 120 gallons of water.
When it came to change the filter of the Brita Standard Metro pitcher, we spent not more than 15 minutes on the job. For this, we followed the direction the brand provided in their cleaning guide and all went down well.
Remember that after cleaning or changing the filter, you’ll have to fill the reservoir with cold water from your tap. And although it’s normal for carbon dust to appear in the first three pitchers, the best thing to do after changing the filter is to discard these three pitchers.
After changing the filter, fill the reservoir with cold tap water. It is normal for carbon dust to appear in your first three pitchers. Discard the first three pitchers or use them to water plants.
While Brita Standard Metro is a game changer for sure, the small design can somewhat be a deal breaker. We recommend this for small families of not more than two or three people, although it’s still a good model to consider if you don’t mind filtering and serving water in shifts. However, if you’re in the market for a model that can serve a big family with pure, tasty water free from contaminants, you should consider a completely different model.
- A well-priced water filter pitcher with a built-in indicator for filter changes
- Remove multiple contaminants from water, leaving you with clean water to drink
- The filtration process is quick
- Compact design, suitable for small countertops and even fits well on a ref refrigerator’s shelf
- The model has a limited capacity
- It would have been better if the locking lid were easy to remove
5 Epic Nano - Best Water Filter Pitcher for Bacteria
Built to remove up to 99% contaminants including bacterial from water, the Epic Nano water filter pitcher is no doubt a model to bring home.
It even claims to remove viruses and cysts from water by up to 99%. These are bold claims to make. And given that the pitcher meets the NSF Standards for contaminant reduction, the pitcher may be worth the gamble.
From the hundreds of reviews that we’ve evaluated, the Epic Nano is quite effective in what it does. In addition to removing 200+ contaminants from water, it also reduces lead and copper to undetectable levels.
One of the things that we love about this water filter pitcher is that it doesn’t get rid of healthy minerals. So as it clears away toxins that would otherwise harm you, it also retains healthy minerals such as potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
Some great water filter pitchers don’t have filter life indicator despite being BPA free. It’s a different case with Epic Nano because it includes a LED indicator that alerts you when it’s time to replace the filter.
- It has a good flow rate of 2 GPM
- Easily gets rid of mold and bacteria
- Can only filter city water
- Not good enough at removing microorganisms
6Waterdrop Lucid NSF Certified Water Filter Pitcher for Coffee and Drinking Water
If you’re in the market for an NSF 42 certified filter pitcher that can reduce chlorine and odor while improving the taste and quality of your water at the same time, you should consider Waterproof Lucid.
It’s a 10-cup unit with a multi-stage filtration technology that removes contaminants such as fluoride, arsenic, and lead so that you and your loved ones can drink clean, tasty water to the very last drop.
The design of the Waterdrop Lucid is something we can all appreciate in one way or the other. First, the material used for constriction is BPA-free plastic, so you won’t put your life and those of your loved ones at risk when you use this filter pitcher. Then there’s the ergonomic handle, which makes it easy for you to manage the unit, from pouring water in the filter to serving every cup.
Again, the model is compact, taking up only a small space and shouldn’t be difficult to fit in refrigerator.
Waterdrop makes a bold claim that it tells the truth about its products and gives you a variety of options at the same time. But what exactly do you get from this device even at a price point that isn’t even steep?
We took Waterdrop Lucid to the test to determine whether it would hold up to our expectation. And, based on our hands on testing, its performance didn’t disappoint. To begin with, the silver-loaded activated carbon and ACF from Japan are quite efficient in treating water, giving it to you back from the pitcher in its pure form.
Although the filter doesn’t remove all the contaminants from water, it does so at least to a great extent. And given that it retains beneficial components such as healthy calcium and magnesium, you do get good enough water to drink, cook, and even make instant coffee. Our take on the filtered water is that its flavor is good, earning a score of at least 4.5 out of 5.
To be clear Waterdrop Lucid doesn’t reduce TDS. According to the brand, anyone who wishes to reduce TDS from water manually can do so using their RO system.
The brand does claim that this pitcher can help you make the world a better place. And while we haven’t tested this ourselves since we don’t normally bring water bottles home, we assume that there’s some truth in the claim. For us, and probably for you as well, the most important thing is that the pitcher delivers up to 200 gallons of water before you need to replace the filter.
Its ability to offer up to 10 cups of clean water makes it ideal for a small or medium-sized family. And if you have a business meeting that will last a couple of hours, this pitcher should be enough to serve the members present.
But some users reckon that this digital display doesn?t work well. Additionally, changing the filter costs a bit.
- Good water filter pitcher that can serve up to 10 people at once
- Removes contaminants from the water, leaving clean and healthy for drinking
- Includes a spout cover that prevents dust and particles from getting into the pitcher
- There’s a gravity induction indicator included in the design, which lets you know when to replace the filter
- Compact and lightweight and therefore ideal if you want to save on space
- The model is easy to clean and very easy to use
- Filtered water tastes great
- The pitcher doesn’t work with multiple filters; only one type fits
- The clear oval window at the top doesn’t automatically open up
What Are Water Filter Pitchers?
At first sight, it looks like a typical jug that is used for any home.
However, the difference is that this device comes with a filtration technology installed to purify the drinking water. The filter is also replaceable, and it works through granulated activated carbon.
Any pitcher has two water reservoirs that are divided by the filter via which tap water goes and stops at the bottom where it is ready to use. The spout, of course, bypasses the filtration system since only clean water can interact with it.
The process of water purification is called adsorption. It means that chlorine is eliminated as this is what is contained in tap water among other contaminants.
Types Of Water Filter Pitchers ?
Aside from using an activated carbon filter to prevent the contaminants from going through the water, water filters also avail a cartridge filter.
Lets explain each type.
What is It?
An activated carbon filter includes tiny pieces of carbon, typically in powdered or granular form, that have been treated to be porous. It is often produced from coal, wood, coconut shells, petroleum pitch, and lignite.
And here are some main processes that you should know.
- Physical activation via carbonization ? The source material is activated at temps between 600 and 9000C in an inactive atmosphere, often in the presence of argon or nitrogen.
- Physical activation via oxidation ? The previously carbonized material or the source material is exposed to oxygen at temps between 600 and 12000C.
- Chemical activation ? Although process depends on different manufacturers, the principle is the same. Before the carbonization, the source material is impregnated with various chemicals to make the raw materials easier to activate. When the temps are lower, the activation time will be shorter, allowing the manufacturer to save the expense.
How Does It Work?
As mentioned above, the carbon filter works by using a natural phenomenon, called adsorption. It is a natural accumulation of the atoms in a liquid, dissolved solids to stick to a surface.
Except for a porous surface, the activated charcoal also has the crannies and nooks in its surface, providing more space for the ions to go in and then trapping them.
With its high porosity, a gram gives an adsorption surface of about 32,000 square feet.
If the water comes in, most the ions of the contaminants in the water will stick to the porous surface. This allows your drinking water cleaner and healthier.
After a short or long period, the porous surface will fill up with different particles and cannot trap anymore. So, you need to change the filters periodically.
Cartridge Water Filters
What is It?
Similar to the carbon filter, a cartridge one is used to filter out the contaminants in the water, but it is an advanced water filter.
WHY? Aside from availing an activated carbon filter, it also uses other technologies to offer better tasting water.
How Does It Work?
Usually, the cartridges will deliver the water via seven various filtering stages before moving it into the container.
They utilize ion exchange resins, activated carbon, mineral balls, and tourmaline to purify the water.
- Ion exchange resins include small beads of the resin filled with sodium particles. When calcium and magnesium particles go through a resin bead, they will stick to the surface. Then the sodium is exchanged for the new particles and released into the water.
- Tourmaline is a glassy mineral that can transport a small electric current. This current will resound within the far infrared spectrum (FIR) with the water. And this interaction makes the water molecules echo with FIR frequencies.
- Mineral balls help to add minerals to the water. When it goes through a filter, some good minerals are also filtered out, making the water healthier to drink.
What Does BPA-Free Mean?
Firstly, you need to understand the meaning of BPA. BPA stands for Bisphenol-A, an industrial chemical used to produce reusable plastic products.
Since this chemical can leach from containers into foods and beverages, it poses a potential health risk, especially in the fetal and infant states.
Hence, you need to find the pitchers that are made out of BPA-free materials. It is because you are guaranteed no harmful chemicals are seeping into your drinking water.
Since all our top 8 products above are BPA-Free, set your mind at rest when deciding to buy one.
Which Contaminants Do Water Filter Pitchers Remove?
This device is effective at eliminating some impurities and contaminants as well as debris and chemicals from your drinking water, yet not all.
So, how much can it remove? Check out this list below to know now!
- Chlorine is often present at municipal water. Although it doesn't change the water's taste, it can lead to some diseases.
- Giardia is a single-celled protozoan that creates giardiasis. This illness results in severe diarrhea, vomiting, and fever that might last up to six weeks.
- Trihalomethane compounds often appear in the water as a by-product of the chlorine treatment. Although they won't create any danger to the citizens, it is best to avoid them since they also cause some illnesses.
- Cryptosporidium is a water-borne protozoan parasite that makes a gastrointestinal and respiratory illness, called cryptosporidiosis.
- Volatile organic chemicals (VOCs) are found in the composition of most pesticides and herbicides. If they are absorbed, they will present some severe problems.
- Other contaminants such as lead, mercury, zinc, copper, benzene, cadmium, etc.
As long as you use the activated carbon filter or cartridge one, these contaminants will be trapped, leaving tastier and healthier water to drink.
Which Health Benefits Will You Get When Using Water Filter Pitchers?
One of the most obvious reasons to use this device is to have clean and healthy water.
But there are still many health benefits that you should consider, including:
- No chlorine ? This substance is dangerous to human and might create different illnesses.
- No plastic ? Using some types of plastics to store water will be harmful to your health since they can seep into the drinking water. That's why the water filter pitcher prevents you from absorbing dangerous toxin.
- No lead ? Similar to chlorine, lead is also a hazardous substance to create severe diseases.
REMEMBER that although tap water is cleaned accurately at the municipal water treatment facility, it does go through piles (often old) before entering your home.
That means it might be contaminated by bacteria, heavy metals, fungi and other harmful contaminants found in the old pipes.
So, the most efficient and inexpensive way to protect your health is to avail a water pitcher filter.
When & How to Change a Water Pitcher Filter
How Often Should You Replace The Filter?
As outlined above, the filters of the pitcher have in common is that you need to change them frequently to maintain its optimum performance.
The first thing is to get your water tested. Normally, people who use hard water in their area should replace them more frequently. Also, you consider which contaminants are in the water and in what quantity.
One more vital factor that influences how often you should do is the type of the pitcher and filter you buy. If you opt for a particular brand yet choose cheaper filters, you might see that these are not as efficient and need changing more frequently.
The average lifespan is about two months or between 30-40 gallons. Depending on the size of the pitcher, you can get from 100 to 200 refills before switching out the filter. Some even are designed to have a longer lifespan, over six months of use.
In our opinion, two months is a good rule of thumb for this device unless the manufacturer particularly suggests otherwise.
How To Change It?
The first and foremost thing is to read the instructions that come with the water filter pitcher to avoid damaging it. And if you want to replace the filter, please follow our guide below.
Step 1 ? Flush the filter
Some filters require to be pre-soaked before installing into the pitcher. Flush it for a minimum of 10 seconds under cold water or soak it into a bowl of cold water about 10 minutes.
However, some big brands have designed their filters so that you don?t need to do it. So, check it carefully.
Step 2 ? Insert the filter
After rinsing it thoroughly, start inserting into the reservoir. Depending on the models, you can find a groove that lines up with a notch in the pitcher itself.
When doing, make sure to push down firmly to guarantee that the filter is tightly sealed to eliminate contaminants effectively.
Step 3 ? Fill up the pitcher and discard the water
After that, fill the pitcher about three times and then throw the water or use it for other purposes, not for drinking. This helps to activate the carbon filter. Now, the pitcher is ready to use for drinking and cooking.
Since not all the pitchers come with reminder stickers or alerts to tell you when to change the filter, you should check the instructions. Usually, these last up to about 40 gallons.
Most frequent questions and answers
Our overall experience with what we’ve finally considered the best water filter pitcher has been great so far. None of these water filter pitchers is perfect.
Every product has it pros and cons. But if you are in the market for a filter pitcher that promises and delivers on performance, the models we’ve tested, researched, and reviewed in this guide will not disappoint you at all.