- Top 8 Best Water Filter Pitcher 2021
- 1 Brita Atlantis Water Filter Pitcher – Best Overall
- 2 Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher – Best Performance
- 3 CamelBak Relay Pitcher – Best Quick Filter
- 4 Invigorated Water pH RESTORE – Best Alkaline Water Pitcher
- 5 Brita Small 5 Cup Water Filter Pitcher – Best Compact Pitcher
- 6 Waterdrop WD-PT-03 Water Filter Pitcher – Best for Office Use
- 7 BWT Vida Water Filter Pitcher – Best Budget
- 8 Brita Extra Large 18 Cup UltraMax Water Dispenser and Filter – Best for Busy Families
- What Are Water Filter Pitchers?
- How Many Types Of Water Filter Pitchers ?
- What Does BPA-Free Mean?
- Which Health Benefits Will You Get When Using Water Filter Pitchers?
- When & How to Change a Water Pitcher Filter
If you want to filter your water without spending a high cost of installing a filtration system, looking to the best water filter pitcher is an excellent idea.
Although this kind of filter is not as good as a reserve osmosis system, it also DOES an excellent job in making your water clean to drink.
In the review below, we will showcase the top 8 products with detailed information available in the market.
And we believe that you will get the best one for your home with our guidance. Without further ado, let’s get started.
Top 8 Best Water Filter Pitcher 2021
1 Brita Atlantis Water Filter Pitcher – Best Overall
As one of the world-leading water filter manufacturers, you are guaranteed to get high-quality products from Brita all the time.
That’s why we decided to introduce the Brita Atlantis first. It is a favorite water filter pitcher, and when you use, you will know instantly.
This filter is made out of BPA-free plastic and comes with an ergonomic design to help you handle, store, and place in the fridge without difficulties.
Since the plastic container is big enough to hold 6 cups of water, it saves a lot of space, making it ideal for a small office or kitchen.
And if you want to fill more with water, you can easily do without taking off the lid.
However, you should be careful of the lid because it is easy to fall off and spill water out when pouring.
When it comes to the filters, they ensure to take away most of the contaminant in the water like copper, chlorine, mercury, zinc, cadmium, etc. and produce clear water.
A filter indicator is another bright feature that notifies you when to change the filters, allowing you to drink pure water always.
And don’t worry about changing the filters because it is simple to perform. You can read the instruction manual or watch video tutorials online to know more.
Although the price of this filter pitcher is a little high, it is a worthy investment for purifying the water.
- Suitable for small places
- Pours and refills the water quickly
- Easy to change the filter
- Easily know when to replace with a sticker notification
- Improves water taste and odors considerably
- Quite pricey
- An easy-fall-off lid
- Some want the higher capacity
2 Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher – Best Performance
If the Brita model above isn’t quite what you want, let’s show another excellent choice, the Aquagear water filter pitcher.
This unit is not only made of BPA-free plastic but also 100% FDA-approved food grade, 100% vegan, and 100% recyclable. All its parts have also been tested to guarantee you get the highest quality pitcher.
Regarding the filters, they satisfy NSF standards for the decrease of contaminants such as copper, chlorine, fluoride, lead, chloramines, mercury, and chromium 6.
They are rated at 2 microns compared to other expensive products.
Aside from removing contaminants, the filters work well in keeping healthy minerals. That means you always taste the refreshing water at home.
Since the Aquagear comes with such active filters, it might take longer to fill water than the others. But it is not a BIG problem because the longer time the filters do, the more contaminants will be eliminated.
Although the replacement costs a lot, you don’t need to replace them. By holding 150 gallons, this filter pitcher effectively works out to 6 months under regular use.
It can be said that this feature is unrivaled by any other company.
Another advantage that makes us love this product is its lifetime guarantee. If seeing any chips, breaks or defects, you can ask for a new one from the manufacturer with a free of charge.
- 100% BPA-free plastic
- Removes more contaminants
- Adds minerals to the water
- Long-lasting filter, up to 6 months
- Made in the USA & Lifetime warranty
- Slow filtering
- Still expensive for some with a limited budget
3 CamelBak Relay Pitcher – Best Quick Filter
The CamelBak Relay pitcher is an excellent pick for those who don’t want to drink chlorinated drinking water.
It also provides a fast filtration rate thanks to a double-filter system used for eliminating contaminants.
Since the filter is made of a BPA-free material, named Tritan, it won’t expose you to any health risks.
With a slim design, this water filter comes with a significant capacity since you can fill up to 10 cups at once. Of course, you can easily manipulate and fit it in the refrigerator.
However, you might meet an issue is that this model doesn’t remove other contaminants. It only deals well with the large particles like chlorine, dust, sand, rust, and bad tastes and smells.
When it comes to filtering longevity, the maximum of using is about four months. Although it is not a good point, it still lasts longer than any other model.
One more advantage is that the CamelBak is easy to clean so that you can put it in the dishwasher without worrying. Or if you have any trouble, it is okay to turn it back thanks to a lifetime warranty.
- Slim design with many colors to choose from
- Quick filtering due to the double filters
- Excellent locking lid
- Removes chlorine effectively
- Lifetime warranty
- Cannot filter all the contaminants
- Expensive replacement filters
4 Invigorated Water pH RESTORE – Best Alkaline Water Pitcher
If what your primary aim is to create “alkaline water” to drink, the pH RESTORE from Invigorated Water is the best deal.
This product has a multi-stage filter that is made out of micro-nets for particle capture, activated coconut carbon charcoal, and a unique ceramic ball and stone blend.
That’s why it effectively removes fluoride, chlorine, heavy metals, salts, and bad odors and smells. At the same time, it restrains bacteria development, giving you a better taste.
Aside above, the filter adds a higher amount of good minerals such as zinc, selenium, and calcium, making your water healthier to drink.
Of course, a necessary intake of alkaline is also added to improve your metabolism.
Regarding its design, we rather impress its slim appearance and an ergonomic handle. This allows you to move, pour, and store it with ease.
But be careful when filling the water. If it is too full, the water might leak out the bottom of the handle and even the countertop. It is best to put it in a sink if you have to leave it to fill unattended.
This pitcher also comes with a considerable filtering capacity of 96 gallons per cartridge. And with two cartridges are included, you can save more money before buying a new one.
Depending on your water consumption, one can last 3-4 months. Wonderfully, a digital gauge on the top is another great feature to remind you when it is time to change the filters.
- Perfectly alkalized water pitcher
- Removes more contaminants
- Big filter capacity with 2 filters included
- Digital filter changing reminder
- Sleek design
- Slow dripping
- Some claim that it is a bit large to put in the refrigerator
5 Brita Small 5 Cup Water Filter Pitcher – Best Compact Pitcher
One more excellent choice for healthy water and portability in our list is the Brita Small 5 Cup water filter pitcher.
As its name suggests, a 5-cup capacity is ideal for small households, ensuring enough clean and fresh water to drink.
The locking lid design is also a premium feature to prevent spill when you handle it. With the dimensions of 9.8 x 4.45 x 9.37 inches, you easily put this item in the refrigerator.
And when if it is empty, it weighs only 1.39 pounds that is perfect for kids to use.
However, the small design is a drawback since you have to refill the water frequently. And if you need the pitcher for more than two persons, this is not a good choice.
As you know, all Brita filters have been tested to make your water cleaner. That’s why this model with a BPA-free one is helpful to remove most of the germs and impurities.
It is also useful to get rid of mercury, chlorine, and other chemicals available in the water.
Another mention-worthy point regarding this product is that you don’t need to keep track of the maintenance task.
With a useful electronic filter indicator, it can track the status and announce when to replace.
- Compact design, suitable for small households
- Quick filtration process
- Filters contaminants effectively
- Excellent indicator for filter changes
- Reasonably priced
- The locking lid is a little hard to remove
- Limited capacity
6 Waterdrop WD-PT-03 Water Filter Pitcher – Best for Office Use
Similar to the rest of the products on our list, the Waterdrop WD-PT-03 does an excellent job at eliminating contaminants from the drinking water.
It also removes all substances that create bad odors or health issues for you. The ion-exchange resin even ensures that the water is safe for you to drink.
The quick filtration rate gives you 8 glasses of healthy and clean water within minutes. And thanks to its slim design, you can store it in the refrigerator easily.
What’s more, this model features an anti-slip silicon bottom, a leak-proof slide cover and an electronic indicator to remind you to change the filter.
But some users reckon that this digital display doesn’t work well. Additionally, changing the filter costs a bit.
One more advantage of using this water filter pitcher is all about its lifespan of 90 days. That means if you have any unsatisfied comments, feel free to contact the manufacturer to ask a refund or replacement.
Overall, this Waterdrop is no doubt one of the best picks you can make for your home when it comes to fast filtration rate and efficiency.
- Small design, easily fit any place in the refrigerator
- Efficient and fast filtration rate
- Makes the water taste great
- Easy to set up and fill the water
- A 90-day warranty
- The electronic display doesn’t work well
- Some claim that the lid doesn’t slide correctly
7 BWT Vida Water Filter Pitcher – Best Budget
If you have a limited budget yet still need a good pitcher with incredible features, the BWT Vida is all you need at this time.
With a sturdy plastic body and a silver coating, you are guaranteed to get a long-lasting product.
Regarding the filter system, this unit uses the patented magnesium technology that effectively decreases chlorine and other heavy metals available in the water.
It also mineralizes the water with magnesium, leaving a natural and fresh taste.
What makes this product noticable is that it has won some awards for its attractive design as well as overall efficiency.
The drawback that you should notice is that the spout might leak if the pitcher is too full of water. Although the filter’s capacity only serves about 60 days, you can get three extras for extended use.
In sum, this pick definitively serves you whether you are on the go or at home with a daily dose of magnesium for your health. Moreover, it helps to save the environment by lessening the plastic bottles.
- Slim yet sturdy design
- Adds magnesium to the filtered water
- Offers three bonus filters
- Reasonably priced
- Good instructions with four different languages
- The spout easily leaks from the top if there is too much water
- It is safe for dishwasher, but be careful of the lid
8 Brita Extra Large 18 Cup UltraMax Water Dispenser and Filter – Best for Busy Families
If the capacity of the above Brita models isn’t suitable for you, the Brita Extra Large 18 Cup UltraMax Water Dispenser and Filter will satisfy you.
This unit is ideal for bigger or busier households, sports teams, offices, and large groups since you don’t need to refill the water often.
Although its capacity is bigger than other products on our list, it is compact and easily fit into the refrigerator and countertop.
The spout is also durable. On the downside, the rubber surrounding might leak in some, not all.
One more disadvantage is that you cannot fully empty the pitcher since the spout is placed at the bottom.
Regarding cleaning, you also meet some difficulties due to the spout’s design. Since it is hard to remove, cleaning thoroughly is not easy. The best thing is to remove the top reservoir, and you should use dedicated tools.
Made of BPA-free plastic, this filter ensures to eliminate the amount of chlorine in your drinking water, leaving a clear, odorless and crisp taste.
Moreover, it removes the number of metals, bacteria, and contaminants. Another favorite thing is the long-lasting filter change reminder.
Given in the form of a sticker indicator, you will know when you last changed the filter and when to replace it.
- Bigger capacity but Compact design
- Removes chlorine well
- Gives better tasting water without odors
- Cheap replacement filters
- Good value
- Some complaint of the leaking spouts
- No handle, inconvenient to move
What Are Water Filter Pitchers?
At first sight, it looks like a typical jug that is used for any home.
However, the difference is that this device comes with a filtration technology installed to purify the drinking water. The filter is also replaceable, and it works through granulated activated carbon.
Any pitcher has two water reservoirs that are divided by the filter via which tap water goes and stops at the bottom where it is ready to use. The spout, of course, bypasses the filtration system since only clean water can interact with it.
The process of water purification is called adsorption. It means that chlorine is eliminated as this is what is contained in tap water among other contaminants.
How Many Types Of Water Filter Pitchers ?
Aside from using an activated carbon filter to prevent the contaminants from going through the water, water filters also avail a cartridge filter.
Let’s explain each type.
What is It?
An activated carbon filter includes tiny pieces of carbon, typically in powdered or granular form, that have been treated to be porous. It is often produced from coal, wood, coconut shells, petroleum pitch, and lignite.
And here are some main processes that you should know.
- Physical activation via carbonization – The source material is activated at temps between 600 and 9000C in an inactive atmosphere, often in the presence of argon or nitrogen.
- Physical activation via oxidation – The previously carbonized material or the source material is exposed to oxygen at temps between 600 and 12000C.
- Chemical activation – Although process depends on different manufacturers, the principle is the same. Before the carbonization, the source material is impregnated with various chemicals to make the raw materials easier to activate. When the temps are lower, the activation time will be shorter, allowing the manufacturer to save the expense.
How Does It Work?
As mentioned above, the carbon filter works by using a natural phenomenon, called adsorption. It is a natural accumulation of the atoms in a liquid, dissolved solids to stick to a surface.
Except for a porous surface, the activated charcoal also has the crannies and nooks in its surface, providing more space for the ions to go in and then trapping them.
With its high porosity, a gram gives an adsorption surface of about 32,000 square feet.
If the water comes in, most the ions of the contaminants in the water will stick to the porous surface. This allows your drinking water cleaner and healthier.
After a short or long period, the porous surface will fill up with different particles and cannot trap anymore. So, you need to change the filters periodically.
Cartridge Water Filters
What is It?
Similar to the carbon filter, a cartridge one is used to filter out the contaminants in the water, but it is an advanced water filter.
WHY? Aside from availing an activated carbon filter, it also uses other technologies to offer better tasting water.
How Does It Work?
Usually, the cartridges will deliver the water via seven various filtering stages before moving it into the container.
They utilize ion exchange resins, activated carbon, mineral balls, and tourmaline to purify the water.
- Ion exchange resins include small beads of the resin filled with sodium particles. When calcium and magnesium particles go through a resin bead, they will stick to the surface. Then the sodium is exchanged for the new particles and released into the water.
- Tourmaline is a glassy mineral that can transport a small electric current. This current will resound within the far infrared spectrum (FIR) with the water. And this interaction makes the water molecules echo with FIR frequencies.
- Mineral balls help to add minerals to the water. When it goes through a filter, some good minerals are also filtered out, making the water healthier to drink.
What Does BPA-Free Mean?
Firstly, you need to understand the meaning of BPA. BPA stands for Bisphenol-A, an industrial chemical used to produce reusable plastic products.
Since this chemical can leach from containers into foods and beverages, it poses a potential health risk, especially in the fetal and infant states.
Hence, you need to find the pitchers that are made out of BPA-free materials. It is because you are guaranteed no harmful chemicals are seeping into your drinking water.
Since all our top 8 products above are BPA-Free, set your mind at rest when deciding to buy one.
Which Contaminants Do Water Filter Pitchers Remove?
This device is effective at eliminating some impurities and contaminants as well as debris and chemicals from your drinking water, yet not all.
So, how much can it remove? Check out this list below to know now!
- Chlorine is often present at municipal water. Although it doesn’t change the water’s taste, it related to some diseases.
- Giardia is a single-celled protozoan that creates giardiasis. This illness results in severe diarrhea, vomiting, and fever that might last up to six weeks.
- Trihalomethane compounds often appear in the water as a by-product of the chlorine treatment. Although they won’t create any danger to the citizens, it is best to avoid them since they also cause some illnesses.
- Cryptosporidium is a water-borne protozoan parasite that makes a gastrointestinal and respiratory illness, called cryptosporidiosis.
- Volatile organic chemicals (VOCs) are found in the composition of most pesticides and herbicides. If they are absorbed, they will present some severe problems.
- Other contaminants such as lead, mercury, zinc, copper, benzene, cadmium, etc.
As long as you use the activated carbon filter or cartridge one, these contaminants will be trapped, leaving tastier and healthier water to drink.
Which Health Benefits Will You Get When Using Water Filter Pitchers?
One of the most obvious reasons to use this device is to have clean and healthy water.
But there are still many health benefits that you should consider, including:
- No chlorine – This substance is dangerous to human and might create different illnesses.
- No plastic – Using some types of plastics to store water will be harmful to your health since they can seep into the drinking water. That’s why the water filter pitcher prevents you from absorbing dangerous toxin.
- No lead – Similar to chlorine, lead is also a hazardous substance to create severe diseases.
REMEMBER that although tap water is cleaned accurately at the municipal water treatment facility, it does go through piles (often old) before entering your home.
That means it might be contaminated by bacteria, heavy metals, fungi and other harmful contaminants found in the old pipes.
So, the most efficient and inexpensive way to protect your health is to avail a water pitcher filter.
When & How to Change a Water Pitcher Filter
How Often Should You Replace The Filter?
As outlined above, the filters of the pitcher have in common is that you need to change them frequently to maintain its optimum performance.
The first thing is to get your water tested. Normally, people who use hard water in their area should replace them more frequently. Also, you consider which contaminants are in the water and in what quantity.
One more vital factor that influences how often you should do is the type of the pitcher and filter you buy. If you opt for a particular brand yet choose cheaper filters, you might see that these are not as efficient and need changing more frequently.
The average lifespan is about two months or between 30-40 gallons. Depending on the size of the pitcher, you can get from 100 to 200 refills before switching out the filter. Some even are designed to have a longer lifespan, over six months of use.
In our opinion, two months is a good rule of thumb for this device unless the manufacturer particularly suggests otherwise.
How To Change It?
The first and foremost thing is to read the instructions that come with the water filter pitcher to avoid damaging it. And if you want to replace the filter, please follow our guide below.
Step 1 – Flush the filter
Some filters require to be pre-soaked before installing into the pitcher. Flush it for a minimum of 10 seconds under cold water or soak it into a bowl of cold water about 10 minutes.
However, some big brands have designed their filters so that you don’t need to do it. So, check it carefully.
Step 2 – Insert the filter
After rinsing it thoroughly, start inserting into the reservoir. Depending on the models, you can find a groove that lines up with a notch in the pitcher itself.
When doing, make sure to push down firmly to guarantee that the filter is tightly sealed to eliminate contaminants effectively.
Step 3 – Fill up the pitcher and discard the water
After that, fill the pitcher about three times and then throw the water or use it for other purposes, not for drinking. This helps to activate the carbon filter. Now, the pitcher is ready to use for drinking and cooking.
Since not all the pitchers come with reminder stickers or alerts to tell you when to change the filter, you should check the instructions. Usually, these last up to about 40 gallons.
Most frequent questions and answers
That concludes our article of the best water filter pitcher. And it is time to pick up the excellent choice so that you can buy one for your home.
In our opinion, the Brita Atlantis Water Filter Pitcher will be the best deal. Although its price is a little high, it offers all the excellent features to filter out contaminants and leave the clean and healthier water to drink.
If you agree with us, ORDER now. Or you can reread and then select another. Of course, the rest is also good since we have tried and tested before showcasing.
Hopefully, our buyer’s guide helps you to make an informed decision. Once again, thanks for reading.